Love Oracle Glassfish but you're disappointed for no commercial support? Good news...

Since "Oracle will no longer release future major releases of Oracle GlassFish Server with commercial support" (with the exception of those running Oracle Glassfish Server 2.x/3.x), i.e., Oracle Glassfish Server 4.x, if you are running applications on Oracle Glassfish 4.x, you may have encountered bugs and issues that exists on Glassfish and (worst case) you will need to pull the code from the Oracle Glassfish repository OR find an alternative. Introducing Payara Server - Derived from Glassfish with 24/7 Production and Developer Support.

I stumbled upon Payara Server when I browsed Omnifaces GitHub report and their CI build is run on Payara Server. Curiously enough I emailed my colleague who wrote an enterprise application that runs on Oracle Glassfish Server in production. Roughly 10 minutes later, after download, he ran the same application on Payara Server with no issues whatsoever (my colleague just confirmed that our current Oracle Glassfish Server always gives issues when creating a JDBC connection whereas Payara sets up one with no issues at all).

The look-and-feel of Payara Server is exactly as Glassfish (and I understand why they want to keep it that way), with a Payara Server logo on bottom left of the screen. The Payara Server team says that they take the Oracle Glassfish Server code upstream, support it, fix it, enhance it and release it as open source Payara Server.

I cannot comment much about using Payara as I have never used it and with my limited knowledge of Glassfish 3.x and with what I have seen from watching my colleague work, I can safely say that it's worth considering Payara Server.

If you have used Payara Server let me know what you like/dislike about Payara (compared to Glassfish counterpart). Would you consider it to your team?

Have fun playing with Payara Server! :-)

PS: I don't work for Payara. I happened to stumble upon their project yesterday (21 June 2016).

Comments